1 the act of giving an account describing incidents or a course of events; "his narration was hesitant" [syn: narration, yarn]
2 performance of music or dance especially by soloists
3 a public instance of reciting or repeating (from memory) something prepared in advance; "the program included songs and recitations of well-loved poems" [syn: recitation, reading]
4 a detailed statement giving facts and figures; "his wife gave a recital of his infidelities"
5 a detailed account or description of something; "he was forced to listen to a recital of his many shortcomings"
- The act of reciting; the repetition of the words of another, or of a document; rehearsal; as, the recital of testimony.
- A telling in detail and due order of the particulars of anything, as of a law, an adventure, or a series of events; narration.
- That which is recited; a story; a narration.
- A vocal or instrumental performance by one person; -- distinguished from concert; as, a song recital; an organ, piano, or violin recital.
- The formal statement, or setting forth, of some matter of fact in any deed or writing in order to explain the reasons on which the transaction is founded; the statement of matter in pleading introductory to some positive allegation.
A recital is a musical (vocal or instrumental) performance. It can highlight a single performer, sometimes accompanied by piano, or a performance of the works of a single composer.
The invention of the solo piano recital has been attributed to Franz Liszt.
Also, a recital may have many participants, as for a dance recital.
recital in Esperanto: Recitalo
recital in Hebrew: רסיטל
recital in Dutch: Recital
recital in Polish: Recital
recital in Finnish: Resitaali
Philharmonic concert, account, address, after-dinner speech, allocution, assignment, band concert, chalk talk, chamber concert, concert, copy, critique, debate, declamation, description, diatribe, discourse, disquisition, dwelling upon, elaboration, entertainment, enumeration, eulogy, exercise, exhortation, exposition, filibuster, forensic, forensic address, formal speech, funeral oration, going over, harangue, homework, homily, hortatory address, inaugural, inaugural address, instruction, interpretation, invective, iteration, jeremiad, lecture, lecture-demonstration, lesson, moral, moral lesson, morality, moralization, musical performance, musical program, musicale, narration, narrative, object lesson, oration, pep talk, performance, peroration, philharmonic, philippic, pitch, pop concert, pops, popular concert, practicing, preachment, prepared speech, prepared text, presentation, program, program of music, prom, promenade concert, public speech, reading, reaffirmation, recap, recapitulation, recitation, recountal, recounting, rehash, rehearsal, reissue, reiteration, relation, rendition, repetition, report, reprint, restatement, resume, retelling, review, sales talk, salutatory, salutatory address, say, screed, sermon, service of music, set speech, set task, show, skull session, speech, speechification, speeching, story, summary, summing up, symphony concert, tale-telling, talk, talkathon, task, teaching, telling, tirade, valediction, valedictory, valedictory address, version, yarn spinning